We keep things fresh! Subscribe for our regular updates =)
Welcome to the calcount blog! We write about food, and counting calories, and healthy living. It’s not your average sugar-coated condescension but we hope you like it!
Please let us know if there is a particular topic that you would like us to research and write about. See our About page for contact details, send us a note and we will get on to it.
- Lowest Calorie Cup A Soup, to Highest!Which is the Lowest Calorie Cup-a-Soup? Yup, this is another of our calories ranked posts! This is the Continental Cup A Soup range, listed from lowest to highest calories so you know what to have, and which one to avoid. Cup A Soup Calories Cup A Soup is an instant […]
- The Man Shake VS The Lady ShakeThe Man Shake and The Lady Shake are meal replacement products made and marketed by Cranky Health, a NSW company founded by Adam MacDougall. Adam “Mad Dog” MacDougall is a former League player (Knights, Roosters, and Rabbitohs) and the face of The Man Shake. His wife Belinda heads up The […]
- 7 Day Weight Loss Meal PlanHere’s your detailed 7 Day Weight Loss Meal Plan! You will lose weight with a 1500 Calorie Diet, so we’ve made this 1473 calorie plan for you. Why? Because unless you buy calorie controlled prepared package meals like the ones from MYMC or Youfoodz, it can be a challenge to […]
- Weight Loss Tables (and Charts)Using weight loss tables and charts is a great strategy when you want to control your weight, and making your own can be inspirational. What’s a weight loss table? It is a set of diet results (planned and/or actual), showing fat melting off over time, displayed in tabular form. In […]
- How Many Calories in a Cup of Rice?It seems like a simple question: how many calories are there in a cup of rice? It is a simple question, but the answer is not at all simple. Whomever asks the question probably has some assumptions which might not be shared by the person who answers. Variables like cup […]
- Lowest Calorie Chocolate in AustraliaWhen you just cannot resist indulging, it is good to know what the lowest calorie chocolate in Australia is. Time for another calories ranked post, this time we’ve selected from 292 chocolate bars and blocks to make this easy reference list of chocolate sorted by calorie count. As usual, we’re […]
- Chickpeas VS Chicken Calories, Protein, NutritionIt’s another of our comparison posts, this time chickpeas vs chicken! Why chickpeas compared to chicken? Because chickpeas are known as the high protein vegetable, and chicken is meat, and both chickpeas and chicken have “chick” in their names. It is a bit of fun and we think it might […]
- Orange Fruits (the colour orange)Orange coloured fruits (including oranges) get their hue from carotenoids, also known as carotenes. There are 1100 different carotenoids, the most prominent of which are beta carotene and lycopene. Carotenes have been linked with better eye health, but also higher risks of lung cancer. We covered them only partially in […]
- Low Calorie Sauces and Condiments, from Lowest to HighestThis is a list of common sauces and condiments, ranked from low calorie to high calorie. If you’ve read any of our other calories ranked posts, you know that we are interested in everyday foods for normal, everyday people. When you want control of your calorie intake, keep an eye […]
- Pork VS Beef, the Difference is Clear!Pork versus beef, let’s compare which meat is better! When you want to maximise nutrition and minimise calories should you choose a juicy scotch fillet steak, or a tender slice of roasted pork loin? According to a famous Australian scientific study comparing beef to pork diets for weight loss, they’re […]
- Calories in ToothpasteEver wondered if there are calories in toothpaste? The short and simple answer is yes, most toothpastes contain calories. In fact, a typical toothpaste from your local supermarket contains about 1 calorie per 100 grams. From a dietary perspective this is a negligible quantity, especially if you don’t swallow when […]
- Low Carb Bread in Australia (lowest to highest)Our simple list of low carb bread available in Australia, ranked from lowest to highest carbohydrates per 100 grams. We pulled up over 2000 types and brands of bread available in Australian supermarkets, restaurants, corner shops, artisanal markets and online stores. In keeping with our focus on everyday food for […]
- 5 Components of Fitness: Test Yourself!Use the 5 Components of Fitness to test your level of fitness. Calorie is King, but it is still important to aim for fitness as well as a healthy body weight. The 5 Components of Physical Fitness are: Cardiorespiratory (or Cardiovascular) Endurance Muscular Strength Muscular Endurance Flexibility Body Composition According […]
- Pecan VS Walnut Differences ExplainedPecan versus walnut, which to choose? Pecans and Walnuts are from the same Hickory fruit family and thus often mistaken for each other. Pecans are more popular, probably because they are generally cheaper, sweeter, and smaller. In some ways walnuts are more nutritious, but they’re bitterer and less versatile. Here’s […]
- Calories in Freemans Organic Farm ProduceFreemans Organic Farm, located in Queensland’s Currumbin Valley deep in the Gold Coast Hinterland is nothing short of a national treasure. The farm has been growing some of the finest fruit and vegetables in the country for generations (since 1915 in fact!). Organic produce, unlike the regular type, is produced […]
- Will I lose Weight if I Stop Eating Rice?Yes, you will lose weight if you stop eating rice, IF: You usually eat rice more than 5 times per week. When you eat it, rice is the main carbohydrate (starch) component of your meals. You do not replace the missing rice portion with an equal or greater source of […]
- Low Calorie Snacks from Coles (-100 kcal/serve)Next time you do a pantry refill, consider this list of low calorie snacks from Coles. Arranged from low to high, these Coles brand snacks contain less than 100 calories per serve. Remember that, whilst the per serve calorie count might be low, the standardised 100g count could be much […]
- Can Onion and Colgate Reduce Belly Fat?Overheard at the office coffee machine: “Can onion and Colgate really get rid of belly fat? Really? Awesome! I’m going to try it tonight!” Cue silent cringe and incredulous back-at-desk Googling. Turns out, yes, there is a growing belief that the combination of toothpaste (specifically, Colgate) and onion works to […]
- 7 Actual Ways to Lose Weight Fast in 2 WeeksHow is it possible to lose weight fast in 2 weeks at home, whilst doing things that come somewhat naturally? Believe it or not, there are real ways to achieve surprisingly fast weight loss without resorting to fad diets or outright starvation! Many people want to get rid of fat […]
- Overcooked Bacon, don’t Toss it Out!Overcooked bacon might not be appetising, but there’s an overwhelmingly good reason you should prefer it to perfectly done bacon. And don’t be put off by its appearance, there are ways to make it look and taste better. Bacon Calories There’s no way to sugar-coat it (although sugar-coated bacon is […]
- Lose Weight Naturally, do this 1 ThingThis is a short (very short) post about how to lose weight naturally by doing just one thing. And no, it is not one of those gotchas where the “one thing” is following our set of 47 recommendations or starting a meal replacement system. If you do this one thing […]
- Macros and Calories in My Muscle Chef’s 7 Best MealsHow do the calories and macros in My Muscle Chef’s 7 most popular meals stack up? Let’s peel back the vacuum-sealed polypropylene and start counting! Who or What is My Muscle Chef? NSW-headquartered My Muscle Chef is in the business of delivering microwavable ready-to-eat packaged meals. Their ideal customer is […]
- Does Sweating Burn Fat?No, sweating does not burn fat. In fact, sweat (perspiration) might not even be an indication that you are burning extra calories! We sweat during a tough workout because our muscles are generating too much body heat to disperse by normal circulation. The sweat droplets that form on your skin […]
- 34 Domino’s Pizza Calories: Lowest to Highest by SliceYou’ve seen our post on calories in generic pizza by the slice, and the one about Pizza Hut, and now you want to see how Domino’s compares? Here you go, calories in 34 Domino’s pizzas by the slice (click the pic to jump to its detailed Nutrition Facts panel): 1 […]
- Calories in Hungry Jacks WhoppersThe Whopper is the big one from Hungry Jacks, but how big are the calories? Let’s take a quick look at that legendary burger which calls Hungry Jack’s (a.k.a. Burger King) home. The Whopper is a famously big burger with at least one large “flame-grilled” beef patty in a sesame […]
- Lemon Rind, so about that Zest…Lemon zest is the top part of lemon rind after it has been scraped, cut, grated, peeled, or pared off. The rind is the citrus fruit’s skin. It has two main parts: the outer flavedo and the inner albedo, also known as the mesocarp, or pith. Zest of lemon is […]
- What is Double Cream?What is double cream? Here’s your answer: Cream is Fatty Milk In the past, cream was “made” by skimming the top off milk which had been allowed to settle. Since unhomogenised milk is an imperfect emulsion of water and oil, much of the fat separates and, being less dense, rises […]
- Salt has NO Calories, BUT…Dieters should avoid salt when trying to lose weight, but since salt has no calories, why? Salt is, without a doubt, completely calorie free. Pure salt is sodium and chloride, neither of which can be used for energy. It is the oldest food seasoning and utterly essential for life. Salt, […]
- Calories in 28 Pizza Hut Pizzas (with pictures)Here, we riffle through the Pizza Hut menu to find out how many calories there are in their large pizzas. You might have read our post on calories in generic pizza by the slice and wondered how Pizza Hut compares. Well, read on to find out! Pizza Hut was born […]
- Finger Limes DemystifiedFinger limes are becoming “a thing” now, but not many people know much about them. Read this to surprise your friends and family with an in-depth understanding of Australia’s own Bush Caviar! Unique Looks Unopened finger limes are roughly the size (3-12cm long) and shape of… you guessed it, human […]
There’s lots more to read!
- What is Double Cream?What is double cream? Here’s your answer:Cream is Fatty MilkIn the past, cream was “made” by skimming the top off milk which had been allowed to settle. Since unhomogenised milk is an imperfect emulsion of water and oil, much of the fat separates and, being less dense, rises to the surface. This top layer of ...
- Salt has NO Calories, BUT…Dieters should avoid salt when trying to lose weight, but since salt has no calories, why? Salt is, without a doubt, completely calorie free. Pure salt is sodium and chloride, neither of which can be used for energy. It is the oldest food seasoning and utterly essential for life. Salt, like sugar, is so important ...
- Calories in 28 Pizza Hut Pizzas (with pictures)Here, we riffle through the Pizza Hut menu to find out how many calories there are in their large pizzas. You might have read our post on calories in generic pizza by the slice and wondered how Pizza Hut compares. Well, read on to find out!Pizza Hut was born in a HutIt is called Pizza ...
- Finger Limes DemystifiedFinger limes are becoming “a thing” now, but not many people know much about them. Read this to surprise your friends and family with an in-depth understanding of Australia’s own Bush Caviar!Unique LooksUnopened finger limes are roughly the size (3-12cm long) and shape of… you guessed it, human fingers. At first glance, you probably would ...
- 471 and Every Other Coded Emulsifier in FoodEmulsifier is a word you will see on many different food labels, but what does it mean exactly? What are the emulsifiers represented by codes 471, 322, 491, and 433 made of? Unlike, say, sugar, you simply cannot avoid emulsifiers in processed foods because they are literally in everything. Are emulsifiers bad for your health? ...