So, you have your own Calorie Tracker, you’ve found out how many calories you need per day, and you’ve calculated your BMI. You’ve even converted kJ to calories, and worked out your body fat percentage and ideal body weight. Now, you want more information about how to really get into the calorie counter lifestyle? Welcome to the calcount blog! We write about food, and counting calories, and healthy living. We hope you like it!
We keep things fresh! Subscribe for our regular updates =)
Please let us know if there is a particular topic that you would like us to research and write about. See our About page for contact details, send us a note and we will get on to it.
- Low Calorie Fast Food: Takeaways with less than 500 CaloriesIs there such a thing as low-calorie fast food? Can you get a takeaway meal that won’t break the 500-calorie barrier? Yes, you can but it is not easy, especially when there are so many up-sizes, add-ons, and condiment extras when you order. There is not a fast-food chain which … Read more
- 109 Muffin Break Muffins, Calories Ranked!Muffin Break has the largest range of muffins in Australia so they’re a good place to start when you want to know how many calories there are in a muffin. When you take a 100+ muffin menu and lay it out from lowest to highest calories, it is plain to … Read more
- Banjo’s Bakery Pies, Calorie Ranked!Banjo’s are famous for their bakery pies so let’s look at the calories in their pie menu. We’ll start with the pie with the least calories and end with the most calorific. We hope you’ll learn two things: 1) bakery pies have lots of calories, and 2) Banjo’s pies range … Read more
- McDonald’s Australiano Calories and IngredientsMaccas introduced a coffee/tea/wattle beverage called The Australiano and we found out what it’s made from and how many calories there are in it. Here’s your quick guide through both the hot and iced Australiano range so you know what to order the next time you visit a McCafe: Australiano … Read more
- 16 Oat Milk Calories Ranked Lowest to Highest!Oat milk is made differently by brand so the calories are all over the place. Some oat milks have more than twice the calories as others because, unlike cow’s milk which has a rigid skimmed/lite/full-cream classification, oat milk recipes are unique. This makes a calorie counter’s job a bit harder … Read more
- Calories in Subway: All the Subs, Lowest to Highest!Have you ever wondered what happens when you take a list of all the sub sandwiches from Subway and arrange them by calories from lowest to highest? Well, wonder no more because that’s exactly what we’ve done here! Now you can see how your favourite footlong or 6 Inch compares … Read more
- Recipe for Egg Custard (with Calories info!)Here’s a short and sweet post with a simple four-step recipe for homemade egg custard. Why? Because our post about Muscle Nation’s Protein Custard triggered a bunch of questions about how their packaged powder compares to the real thing. Rather than just let people know how many calories there are … Read more
- Jamaica Blue Menu Calories, Ranked!With over three hundred items on the Jamaica Blue menu, its hard to choose what to get when you are counting your calories. We’ve tried to make it easier for you with this calorie-ranked list of Jamaica Blue’s featured menu. Their featured menu is a collection of the people’s faves, … Read more
- Hungry Jacks Penny Pinchers Menu Calories lowest to highest!The Hungry Jack’s Penny Pinchers Menu is famous for being low in price, but are the options low in calories too? We’ve already had a look at their Whoppers, so now let’s examine the range of small burgers, slushies and sides that make up the Hungry Jacks Penny Pinchers menu. … Read more
- Muscle Nation Protein (Custard, yes Custard!)Let’s look at Muscle Nation protein supplements (including their famous custard): the range, their nutrition profile, and why you might give them a look-in. What’s Muscle Nation? It’s a popular and rapidly expanding Australian activewear and nutritional supplements brand. It differs from many alternatives because Muscle Nation, a Brisbane-based family … Read more
- Healthy Vietnamese Food: 24 of the Healthiest!There is a lot of healthy Vietnamese food. In Vietnam, people combine fresh ingredients and typical South East Asian flavours with… wait for it… French cuisine! If you enjoyed our exposition of Indonesian food, you’re going to drool over this list of the healthiest Vietnamese food we could find. Many … Read more
- How to Get More Protein (12 Quick Ways)!Our bodies rely on protein for growth and to repair body tissue. Although our body produces some amino acids, to get the essential amnio acids we must keep topping up our supply through our daily intake of protein. Many people eat extra protein for a variety of reasons, such as … Read more
- 25 Healthy (Low Calorie) Indian Food optionsSo you want to know what healthy Indian food is? Well, finding low-calorie Indian food in a cuisine tradition that boasts the richest, creamiest, and tastiest delicacies can be a massive challenge, but there is hope! If you are trying to understand what low calorie Indian food looks like, we’ve … Read more
- Healthy Indonesian Food (with low – ish calories)In this article we are going to be looking at some healthy Indonesian food. With Bali (yes, Bali is in Indonesia) being one of Australia’s favourite holiday spots, a bit of Indonesian food savvy has got to be a good thing. Although Indonesian food is some of the brightest and … Read more
- Calories in Beef Larb (plus recipe!)How many calories are there in that Thai or Lao beef salad called “Larb”, “Laab”, “Larp”, “Laap”, or “Lahb”? The answer is there are 96 calories per 100 grams of beef larb, but you didn’t come here just for the dry facts, did you? Let’s take a quick look at … Read more
- Chicken Treat Menu: Calories from Lowest to HighestEver wanted to know how the Chicken Treat menu items compare to, say, KFC calories? Well, look no further than this illustrated list of their main offerings calorie ranked from low to high in terms of calories per serve! Yes, this post is written for our WA readers mostly, but … Read more
- Should you try a Very Low Calorie Diet (VLCD)?A Very Low Calorie Diet (VLCD) is a diet which restricts your daily calorie intake to between 450 and 800 calories per day. VLCDs cause rapid weight loss and are usually prescribed by doctors to people who have a BMI of 30 and over. People who stick to their VLCD … Read more
- Coffee Club Calories (ranked lowest to highest)Here’s a selection from The Coffee Club food menu, ranked from lowest to highest calories! If you’re watching your weight and counting your calories, use this detailed list to plan and order with confidence when you next eat at The Coffee Club. The Coffee Club Chicken & Sweet Potato Salad … Read more
- Optislim! Your Ultimate Guide (Benefits Reviewed)What’s the deal with Optislim? Yes, it is a well-known Australian weight-loss products brand which markets diet shakes, nutrition bars, low-calorie soups, and meals, but what makes it different from all the rest? We think its time to review Optislim to find answers to questions like: Why would you choose … Read more
- 15 Popular Toast Toppings ranked from Lowest to Highest CaloriesToast toppings are an everyday staple, so when you’re watching your weight you need to know which has the lowest calories! In this article we provide an illustrated list of Australia’s most popular bread spreads ranked from lowest to highest calories, so you can choose wisely. 1. Marmite Per 100g … Read more
- 16 Popular Australian Breakfast Cereals Calories Ranked from Lowest to Highest!Looking for low calorie cereal? This is where we rank breakfast cereals from lowest to highest calories, based on their calories per 100 grams values. We also delve into some of the key ingredients and features of each cereal. So, whether you are looking for lighter options or just validating … Read more
- Australia’s Top 22 Biscuits Ranked by Calories from Lowest to HighestWant to know what a low calorie biscuit looks like? This is an ordered list of popular biscuits in Australia, ranked from lowest calories to highest. Since we gave Tim Tams their own article, we thought we’d give the others a look-in. Biscuits are obviously a popular snack in Oz, … Read more
- Your Ultimate Guide to The Man Shake (Ingredients Reviewed)We’ve written this Ultimate Guide to The Man Shake because, since our Man Shake VS Lady Shake post, several of you have asked for a review of The Man Shake, specifically. In summary, The Man Shake provides a healthy, low calorie replacement for a meal you would usually eat. The … Read more
- Avalanche Hot Chocolate: Calories and NutritionThe Avalanche Hot Chocolate range of drinking chocolates comes to us from across the Tasman, courtesy of two Kiwis named Paul and Stefan. Hot chocolate powders from the supermarket are usually much of a muchness, but these guys seem to be onto something special, especially with their low-calorie options. Let’s … Read more
- How Much Weight Loss is Noticeable?How much weight do you need to lose before people start to notice the difference? You’ve calculated your calories, stuck to your plan, and dropped some weight. You know that the kilos are shedding because you step on the bathroom scale, but is the change noticeable in your appearance? According … Read more
- Why Do I Lose Weight After Cheat Day?You asked “Why do I lose weight after cheat day?” so we found out for you. Turns out, if you are finding yourself dropping a handful (or a big bunch!) of grams after directly your cheat day, you may be experiencing metabolism fluctuations. What (and Why) is a Cheat Day? … Read more
- Zambrero Calories: All the Burritos Ranked!Zambrero is an inspiring Canberran company and the burritos are good and all, but what sort of calories are we in for when we order from the menu? Let’s take a look at their burrito favourites to get a sense of what these tortilla-wrapped Mexican-themed handfuls do for our daily … Read more
- Tim Tams Calories, Ingredients, and the infamous TimTamSlamTim Tams are incredibly popular so let’s take a look at their calories, ingredients, and consider what is to be done about the TimTamSlam. Why? Because with the possible exception of Anzacs, the Tim Tam is the most iconic biscuit in (or from) Australia. If you have biscuits in your … Read more
- What does “Phenylketonurics: Contains Phenylalanine” mean?Some food products include the warning: Phenylketonurics: Contains Phenylalanine. If you have seen a nutrition label with these scary words and wondered what they mean exactly, this quick post is for you! Phenylketonurics: Contains Phenylalanine The warning contains three words, two of which are not in most peoples’ everyday language: … Read more
- White Meats VS Red Meats, which is better?How do white meats compare to red meats in terms of calories, protein, iron and other nutrients? Time for a quick post with quick answers to a quick question! First up, let’s define which is which, that is, what’s a red meat and what is a white meat? White Meats … Read more
There’s lots more to read!
- 8 + 1 TRUE Substitutes for Vegetable Oil (with calorie counts and pictures)If you are looking for an illustrated list of REAL substitutes for vegetable oil, you’re in luck! This is not just a list of vegetable oils not named Vegetable Oil. Get that blend of who-knows-what out of your kitchen by swapping it for one or more of these readily available TRUE alternatives. What is Vegetable Oil? The ...
- Calories in Porridge (made 7 ways)Everyone says it is good for you, but how about the calories in porridge? Porridge has been our food since cavemen, and it is not going away anytime soon, but is it really a good option? Let’s take a closer look at porridge nutrition to see how many calories there are in your morning bowlful. ...
- Dates VS Prunes (with infographic)Dates VS Prunes: both popular dried fruit, sweet, and they sort of look the same, but which has more calories? Are they even nutritionally similar? Let’s look at these sweet nuggets in comparison, so that we can find out what is better for you, prunes, or dates? Differences between Prunes and Dates In many ways, dates and ...
- Calories & Carbs in CarrotDoes the humble carrot live up to its reputation as being super-low in calories and carbs? The average person crunches through 5 kilograms of carrots every year, so it is possibly the world’s most popular vegetable. Let’s take a close look at carrot nutrition to find out why! About the Carrot The carrot is a “true root” ...
- Calories in 1 Slice of Pizza: 9 Pizzas ranked Lowest to MostHow many calories are there are in one slice of pizza? We’ve ranked 9 popular pizzas from least to highest calories. Now, you’ll know which one to avoid the next time you indulge in this quick comfort food! How much is one pizza slice (grams and calories)? Before we dive into the list, let’s clarify a couple ...
- Is Soy Milk Good for Weight Loss?Is soy milk good for weight loss? If you did nothing else but swap soy milk for cow’s milk, would you lose weight? Compared to regular cow’s milk, regular soy milk has about the same number of calories. How then could it have any benefit to people who plan to lose weight? The quick answer ...
- Calories in KFC (Kentucky Fried Chicken) menu itemsWhat does our massive food database say about the calories in KFC (Kentucky Fried Chicken) products? Read on to see an illustrated list, linked to the famous calcount interactive panel which displays KFC nutrition information including values for protein, sodium, and carbohydrates. Calories in KFC Overall, KFC calories are less scary than than several of their ...
- 63 McDonald’s Foods Calories ranked Lowest to Most (with pictures)Let’s take a look at food calories from McDonald’s, the most iconic fast food restaurant chain in the world. McDonalds was started in 1940 by two brothers surnamed… McDonald. They found some success, but it was not until Ray Kroc joined them as a franchisee that the brand really took off. Kroc eventually bought ...
- Weight Maintenance: 5 + 1 Ways to FailIt is the easiest thing in the world to fail at weight maintenance after having put in the hard yards to lose excess body weight. For most of us, dieting is a challenge to be overcome, a mountain to be climbed, a race to be won. But what happens after we clinch the prize and ...
- What causes a Hot Flush after Eating?One of our members asked us what causes a hot flush, or flash, after eating? The question came through our contact form, where we invite readers to send in any topics they’d like to see us research. So, we spent a few hours to learn the causes of hot flushes that are not menopause, here ...