We keep things fresh! Subscribe for our regular updates =)
Welcome to the calcount blog! We write about food, and counting calories, and healthy living. It’s not your average sugar-coated condescension but we hope you like it!
Please let us know if there is a particular topic that you would like us to research and write about. See our About page for contact details, send us a note and we will get on to it.
- Avalanche Hot Chocolate: Calories and NutritionThe Avalanche Hot Chocolate range of drinking chocolates comes to us from across the Tasman, courtesy of two Kiwis named Paul and Stefan. Hot chocolate powders from the supermarket are usually much of a muchness, but these guys seem to be onto something special, especially with their low-calorie options. Let’s … Read more
- How Much Weight Loss is Noticeable?How much weight do you need to lose before people start to notice the difference? You’ve calculated your calories, stuck to your plan, and dropped some weight. You know that the kilos are shedding because you step on the bathroom scale, but is the change noticeable in your appearance? According … Read more
- Why Do I Lose Weight After Cheat Day?You asked “Why do I lose weight after cheat day?” so we found out for you. Turns out, if you are finding yourself dropping a handful (or a big bunch!) of grams after directly your cheat day, you may be experiencing metabolism fluctuations. What (and Why) is a Cheat Day? … Read more
- Zambrero Calories: All the Burritos Ranked!Zambrero is an inspiring Canberran company and the burritos are good and all, but what sort of calories are we in for when we order from the menu? Let’s take a look at their burrito favourites to get a sense of what these tortilla-wrapped Mexican-themed handfuls do for our daily … Read more
- Tim Tams Calories, Ingredients, and the infamous TimTamSlamTim Tams are incredibly popular so let’s take a look at their calories, ingredients, and consider what is to be done about the TimTamSlam. Why? Because with the possible exception of Anzacs, the Tim Tam is the most iconic biscuit in (or from) Australia. If you have biscuits in your … Read more
- What does “Phenylketonurics: Contains Phenylalanine” mean?Some food products include the warning: Phenylketonurics: Contains Phenylalanine. If you have seen a nutrition label with these scary words and wondered what they mean exactly, this quick post is for you! Phenylketonurics: Contains Phenylalanine The warning contains three words, two of which are not in most peoples’ everyday language: … Read more
- White Meats VS Red Meats, which is better?How do white meats compare to red meats in terms of calories, protein, iron and other nutrients? Time for a quick post with quick answers to a quick question! First up, let’s define which is which, that is, what’s a red meat and what is a white meat? White Meats … Read more
- Hello Fresh Calories (from Lowest to Highest)What are Hello Fresh calories like? Since Hello Fresh is the world’s most popular meal kit with over 7 million customers and 15,000 employees, it is a question worth knowing. As you might expect, from a service which delivered more than 600 million meals per year, they have an enormous … Read more
- Low Calorie Snacks from Woolworths (-100 Calories/serve)It’s a list of low calorie snacks from Woolworths, covering Woolies-branded snacks which fit into the sub-100 calories per serve bracket. We covered the same thing for Coles, so in fairness we’re doing it for Woolworths too! Woolworths Low Calorie Snacks (by Serve) Perhaps the most important thing to remember … Read more
- Calories and Protein in 48 Cheeses ranked Lowest to HighestThis is a list of popular cheeses ranked by calories and protein, from lowest to highest. Cheese nutrition varies widely by type and even brand, so it is good to know which cheese to choose before you get to the supermarket. We caution people about the calories in cheese, because … Read more
- Calories in Nando’s 57 Menu ItemsHow do the calories in Nando’s compare to other fast-food chains like McDonalds or KFC? Let’s stack their menu up from lowest calories to highest and find out! Out of Africa Nando’s was started by two friends in Johannesburg, South Africa in 1987. The key flavour used in most of … Read more
- Foods High in MagnesiumMagnesium rich foods are good for your health and help build and maintain muscle. Magnesium is also beneficial for lowering blood pressure and cholesterol levels in your body. Most people get enough magnesium in their diets, but if you suffer from insomnia and/or muscle cramps, it can’t hurt to make … Read more
- Do Fat Burners work without Exercise?Do Fat Burners Work without Exercise? Yes fat burners work without exercise, but don’t expect to take a fat burner today and reach your target weight tomorrow with zero effort. You see, the job of a fat burner is to give you a slight edge when you want to shred. … Read more
- Berocca for Weight Loss? Good or Bad?The email asked is Berocca good for my weight loss plan? After a quick reply, we thought we’d share our answer here in case anyone else had the same nagging question. After all, Berocca is a massively popular supplement since its introduction in 1969 and loads of calorie counters take … Read more
- MACROS vs My Muscle Chef, Meal by Meal!MACROS vs My Muscle Chef, how do they compare, on a per meal basis? Which of these pre-pack meal companies delivers the least calories and most protein per meal, on a like-for-like basis? Let’s find out with this quick visual guide: MACROS Beef Chilli compared to MYMC Beef Chilli Both … Read more
- 21 Naturally Blue FoodsBlue foods capture the imagination because they are so rare in nature. Who doesn’t know a kid who sticks their tongue out in glee after chewing blueberries? Let’s get to know some real blue foods and find out why they’re so few and far between! What makes food Blue? Naturally … Read more
- Body Fat Percentage CalculatorUse this calcount Body fat Percentage Calculator to estimate how much of your body is made of fat. Then, read on to find out what your body fat percentage result means. Body Fat Percentage People measure their body fat percentage as a fitness indicator and aesthetic target. Fat is a … Read more
- Lowest Calorie Cup A Soup, to Highest!Which is the Lowest Calorie Cup-a-Soup? Yup, this is another of our calories ranked posts! This is the Continental Cup A Soup range, listed from lowest to highest calories so you know what to have, and which one to avoid. Cup A Soup Calories Cup A Soup is an instant … Read more
- The Man Shake VS The Lady ShakeThe Man Shake and The Lady Shake are probably the most popular gender-specific weight loss shakes available in Australia. These meal replacement products are made and marketed by Cranky Health, a NSW company founded by Adam MacDougall. Adam “Mad Dog” MacDougall is a former League player (Knights, Roosters, and Rabbitohs) … Read more
- 7 Day Weight Loss Meal PlanHere’s your detailed 7 Day Weight Loss Meal Plan! You will lose weight with a 1500 Calorie Diet, so we’ve made this 1473 calorie plan for you. Why? Because unless you buy calorie controlled prepared package meals like the ones from MYMC or Youfoodz, it can be a challenge to … Read more
- Weight Loss Tables (and Charts)Using weight loss tables and charts is a great strategy when you want to control your weight, and making your own can be inspirational. What’s a weight loss table? It is a set of diet results (planned and/or actual), showing fat melting off over time, displayed in tabular form. In … Read more
- How Many Calories in a Cup of Rice?It seems like a simple question: how many calories are there in a cup of rice? It is a simple question, but the answer is not at all simple. Whomever asks the question probably has some assumptions which might not be shared by the person who answers. Variables like cup … Read more
- Lowest Calorie Chocolate in AustraliaWhen you just cannot resist indulging, it is good to know what the lowest calorie chocolate in Australia is. Time for another calories ranked post, this time we’ve selected from 292 chocolate bars and blocks to make this easy reference list of chocolate sorted by calorie count. As usual, we’re … Read more
- Chickpeas VS Chicken Calories, Protein, NutritionIt’s another of our comparison posts, this time chickpeas vs chicken! Why chickpeas compared to chicken? Because chickpeas are known as the high protein vegetable, and chicken is meat, and both chickpeas and chicken have “chick” in their names. It is a bit of fun and we think it might … Read more
- Orange Fruits (the colour orange)Orange coloured fruits (including oranges) get their hue from carotenoids, also known as carotenes. There are 1100 different carotenoids, the most prominent of which are beta carotene and lycopene. Carotenes have been linked with better eye health, but also higher risks of lung cancer. We covered them only partially in … Read more
- Low Calorie Sauces and Condiments, from Lowest to HighestThis is a list of common sauces and condiments, ranked from low calorie to high calorie. If you’ve read any of our other calories ranked posts, you know that we are interested in everyday foods for normal, everyday people. When you want control of your calorie intake, keep an eye … Read more
- Pork VS Beef, the Difference is Clear!Pork versus beef, let’s compare which meat is better! When you want to maximise nutrition and minimise calories should you choose a juicy scotch fillet steak, or a tender slice of roasted pork loin? According to a famous Australian scientific study comparing beef to pork diets for weight loss, they’re … Read more
- Calories in ToothpasteEver wondered if there are calories in toothpaste? The short and simple answer is yes, most toothpastes contain calories. In fact, a typical toothpaste from your local supermarket contains about 1 calorie per 100 grams. From a dietary perspective this is a negligible quantity, especially if you don’t swallow when … Read more
- Low Carb Bread in Australia (lowest to highest)Our simple list of low carb bread available in Australia, ranked from lowest to highest carbohydrates per 100 grams. We pulled up over 2000 types and brands of bread available in Australian supermarkets, restaurants, corner shops, artisanal markets and online stores. In keeping with our focus on everyday food for … Read more
- 5 Components of Fitness: Test Yourself!Use the 5 Components of Fitness to test your level of fitness. Calorie is King, but it is still important to aim for fitness as well as a healthy body weight. The 5 Components of Physical Fitness are: Cardiorespiratory (or Cardiovascular) Endurance Muscular Strength Muscular Endurance Flexibility Body Composition According … Read more
There’s lots more to read!
- Can Onion and Colgate Reduce Belly Fat?Overheard at the office coffee machine: “Can onion and Colgate really get rid of belly fat? Really? Awesome! I’m going to try it tonight!” Cue silent cringe and incredulous back-at-desk Googling. Turns out, yes, there is a growing belief that the combination of toothpaste (specifically, Colgate) and onion works to burn belly fat. Fast! This quick ...
- 7 Actual Ways to Lose Weight Fast in 2 WeeksHow is it possible to lose weight fast in 2 weeks at home, whilst doing things that come somewhat naturally? Believe it or not, there are real ways to achieve surprisingly fast weight loss without resorting to fad diets or outright starvation! Many people want to get rid of fat fast, and a two week period ...
- Overcooked Bacon, don’t Toss it Out!Overcooked bacon might not be appetising, but there’s an overwhelmingly good reason you should prefer it to perfectly done bacon. And don’t be put off by its appearance, there are ways to make it look and taste better. Bacon Calories There’s no way to sugar-coat it (although sugar-coated bacon is a thing): bacon is a staggeringly high-calorie ...
- Lose Weight Naturally, do this 1 ThingThis is a short (very short) post about how to lose weight naturally by doing just one thing. And no, it is not one of those gotchas where the “one thing” is following our set of 47 recommendations or starting a meal replacement system. If you do this one thing you will surely lose weight naturally, painlessly, ...
- Macros and Calories in My Muscle Chef’s 7 Best MealsHow do the calories and macros in My Muscle Chef’s 7 most popular meals stack up? Let’s peel back the vacuum-sealed polypropylene and start counting! Who or What is My Muscle Chef? NSW-headquartered My Muscle Chef is in the business of delivering microwavable ready-to-eat packaged meals. Their ideal customer is someone who wants to take the grunt ...
- Does Sweating Burn Fat?No, sweating does not burn fat. In fact, sweat (perspiration) might not even be an indication that you are burning extra calories! We sweat during a tough workout because our muscles are generating too much body heat to disperse by normal circulation. The sweat droplets that form on your skin whilst exercising have no body ...
- 34 Domino’s Pizza Calories: Lowest to Highest by SliceYou’ve seen our post on calories in generic pizza by the slice, and the one about Pizza Hut, and now you want to see how Domino’s compares? Here you go, calories in 34 Domino’s pizzas by the slice (click the pic to jump to its detailed Nutrition Facts panel): 1 Domino’s Spicy Vege Trio Pizza Domino’s Spicy ...
- Calories in Hungry Jacks WhoppersThe Whopper is the big one from Hungry Jacks, but how big are the calories? Let’s take a quick look at that legendary burger which calls Hungry Jack’s (a.k.a. Burger King) home. The Whopper is a famously big burger with at least one large “flame-grilled” beef patty in a sesame seeded bun with “the lot”. ...
- Lemon Rind, so about that Zest…Lemon zest is the top part of lemon rind after it has been scraped, cut, grated, peeled, or pared off. The rind is the citrus fruit’s skin. It has two main parts: the outer flavedo and the inner albedo, also known as the mesocarp, or pith. Zest of lemon is a common baking ingredient, think lemon ...
- What is Double Cream?What is double cream? Here’s your answer: Cream is Fatty Milk In the past, cream was “made” by skimming the top off milk which had been allowed to settle. Since unhomogenised milk is an imperfect emulsion of water and oil, much of the fat separates and, being less dense, rises to the surface. This top layer of ...