So, you have your own Calorie Tracker, you’ve found out how many calories you need per day, and you’ve calculated your BMI. You’ve even converted kJ to calories, and worked out your body fat percentage and ideal body weight. Now, you want more information about how to really get into the calorie counter lifestyle? Welcome to the calcount blog! We write about food, and counting calories, and healthy living. We hope you like it!
We keep things fresh! Subscribe for our regular updates =)
Please let us know if there is a particular topic that you would like us to research and write about. See our About page for contact details, send us a note and we will get on to it.
- Hungry Jacks Penny Pinchers Menu Calories lowest to highest!The Hungry Jack’s Penny Pinchers Menu is famous for being low in price, but are the options low in calories too? We’ve already had a look at their Whoppers, so now let’s examine the range of small burgers, slushies and sides that make up the Hungry Jacks Penny Pinchers menu. … Read more
- Muscle Nation Protein (Custard, yes Custard!)Let’s look at Muscle Nation protein supplements (including their famous custard): the range, their nutrition profile, and why you might give them a look-in. What’s Muscle Nation? It’s a popular and rapidly expanding Australian activewear and nutritional supplements brand. It differs from many alternatives because Muscle Nation, a Brisbane-based family … Read more
- Healthy Vietnamese Food: 24 of the Healthiest!There is a lot of healthy Vietnamese food. In Vietnam, people combine fresh ingredients and typical South East Asian flavours with… wait for it… French cuisine! If you enjoyed our exposition of Indonesian food, you’re going to drool over this list of the healthiest Vietnamese food we could find. Many … Read more
- How to Get More Protein (12 Quick Ways)!Our bodies rely on protein for growth and to repair body tissue. Although our body produces some amino acids, to get the essential amnio acids we must keep topping up our supply through our daily intake of protein. Many people eat extra protein for a variety of reasons, such as … Read more
- 25 Healthy (Low Calorie) Indian Food optionsSo you want to know what healthy Indian food is? Well, finding low-calorie Indian food in a cuisine tradition that boasts the richest, creamiest, and tastiest delicacies can be a massive challenge, but there is hope! If you are trying to understand what low calorie Indian food looks like, we’ve … Read more
- Healthy Indonesian Food (with low – ish calories)In this article we are going to be looking at some healthy Indonesian food. With Bali (yes, Bali is in Indonesia) being one of Australia’s favourite holiday spots, a bit of Indonesian food savvy has got to be a good thing. Although Indonesian food is some of the brightest and … Read more
- Calories in Beef Larb (plus recipe!)How many calories are there in that Thai or Lao beef salad called “Larb”, “Laab”, “Larp”, “Laap”, or “Lahb”? The answer is there are 96 calories per 100 grams of beef larb, but you didn’t come here just for the dry facts, did you? Let’s take a quick look at … Read more
- Chicken Treat Menu: Calories from Lowest to HighestEver wanted to know how the Chicken Treat menu items compare to, say, KFC calories? Well, look no further than this illustrated list of their main offerings calorie ranked from low to high in terms of calories per serve! Yes, this post is written for our WA readers mostly, but … Read more
- Should you try a Very Low Calorie Diet (VLCD)?A Very Low Calorie Diet (VLCD) is a diet which restricts your daily calorie intake to between 450 and 800 calories per day. VLCDs cause rapid weight loss and are usually prescribed by doctors to people who have a BMI of 30 and over. People who stick to their VLCD … Read more
- Coffee Club Calories (ranked lowest to highest)Here’s a selection from The Coffee Club food menu, ranked from lowest to highest calories! If you’re watching your weight and counting your calories, use this detailed list to plan and order with confidence when you next eat at The Coffee Club. The Coffee Club Chicken & Sweet Potato Salad … Read more
- Optislim! Your Ultimate GuideWhat’s the deal with Optislim? Well, it is a well-known Australian weight-loss products brand which markets diet shakes, nutrition bars, low-calorie soups, and meals, but what makes it different from all the rest? Why would you choose to try Optislim? What is their program and how does it work? Does … Read more
- 15 Popular Toast Toppings ranked from Lowest to Highest CaloriesToast toppings are an everyday staple, so when you’re watching your weight you need to know which has the lowest calories! In this article we provide an illustrated list of Australia’s most popular bread spreads ranked from lowest to highest calories, so you can choose wisely. 1. Marmite Per 100g … Read more
- 16 Popular Australian Breakfast Cereals Calories Ranked from Lowest to Highest!Looking for low calorie cereal? This is where we rank breakfast cereals from lowest to highest calories, based on their calories per 100 grams values. We also delve into some of the key ingredients and features of each cereal. So, whether you are looking for lighter options or just validating … Read more
- Australia’s Top 22 Biscuits Ranked by Calories from Lowest to HighestWant to know what a low calorie biscuit looks like? This is an ordered list of popular biscuits in Australia, ranked from lowest calories to highest. Since we gave Tim Tams their own article, we thought we’d give the others a look-in. Biscuits are obviously a popular snack in Oz, … Read more
- Your Ultimate Guide to The Man Shake (Ingredients Reviewed)We’ve written this Ultimate Guide to The Man Shake because, since our Man Shake VS Lady Shake post, several of you have asked for a review of The Man Shake, specifically. In summary, The Man Shake provides a healthy, low calorie replacement for a meal you would usually eat. The … Read more
- Avalanche Hot Chocolate: Calories and NutritionThe Avalanche Hot Chocolate range of drinking chocolates comes to us from across the Tasman, courtesy of two Kiwis named Paul and Stefan. Hot chocolate powders from the supermarket are usually much of a muchness, but these guys seem to be onto something special, especially with their low-calorie options. Let’s … Read more
- How Much Weight Loss is Noticeable?How much weight do you need to lose before people start to notice the difference? You’ve calculated your calories, stuck to your plan, and dropped some weight. You know that the kilos are shedding because you step on the bathroom scale, but is the change noticeable in your appearance? According … Read more
- Why Do I Lose Weight After Cheat Day?You asked “Why do I lose weight after cheat day?” so we found out for you. Turns out, if you are finding yourself dropping a handful (or a big bunch!) of grams after directly your cheat day, you may be experiencing metabolism fluctuations. What (and Why) is a Cheat Day? … Read more
- Zambrero Calories: All the Burritos Ranked!Zambrero is an inspiring Canberran company and the burritos are good and all, but what sort of calories are we in for when we order from the menu? Let’s take a look at their burrito favourites to get a sense of what these tortilla-wrapped Mexican-themed handfuls do for our daily … Read more
- Tim Tams Calories, Ingredients, and the infamous TimTamSlamTim Tams are incredibly popular so let’s take a look at their calories, ingredients, and consider what is to be done about the TimTamSlam. Why? Because with the possible exception of Anzacs, the Tim Tam is the most iconic biscuit in (or from) Australia. If you have biscuits in your … Read more
- What does “Phenylketonurics: Contains Phenylalanine” mean?Some food products include the warning: Phenylketonurics: Contains Phenylalanine. If you have seen a nutrition label with these scary words and wondered what they mean exactly, this quick post is for you! Phenylketonurics: Contains Phenylalanine The warning contains three words, two of which are not in most peoples’ everyday language: … Read more
- White Meats VS Red Meats, which is better?How do white meats compare to red meats in terms of calories, protein, iron and other nutrients? Time for a quick post with quick answers to a quick question! First up, let’s define which is which, that is, what’s a red meat and what is a white meat? White Meats … Read more
- Hello Fresh Calories (from Lowest to Highest)What are Hello Fresh calories like? Since Hello Fresh is the world’s most popular meal kit with over 7 million customers and 15,000 employees, it is a question worth knowing. As you might expect, from a service which delivered more than 600 million meals per year, they have an enormous … Read more
- Low Calorie Snacks from Woolworths (-100 Calories/serve)It’s a list of low calorie snacks from Woolworths, covering Woolies-branded snacks which fit into the sub-100 calories per serve bracket. We covered the same thing for Coles, so in fairness we’re doing it for Woolworths too! Woolworths Low Calorie Snacks (by Serve) Perhaps the most important thing to remember … Read more
- Calories and Protein in 48 Cheeses ranked Lowest to HighestThis is a list of popular cheeses ranked by calories and protein, from lowest to highest. Cheese nutrition varies widely by type and even brand, so it is good to know which cheese to choose before you get to the supermarket. We caution people about the calories in cheese, because … Read more
- Calories in Nando’s 57 Menu ItemsHow do the calories in Nando’s compare to other fast-food chains like McDonalds or KFC? Let’s stack their menu up from lowest calories to highest and find out! Out of Africa Nando’s was started by two friends in Johannesburg, South Africa in 1987. The key flavour used in most of … Read more
- Foods High in MagnesiumMagnesium rich foods are good for your health and help build and maintain muscle. Magnesium is also beneficial for lowering blood pressure and cholesterol levels in your body. Most people get enough magnesium in their diets, but if you suffer from insomnia and/or muscle cramps, it can’t hurt to make … Read more
- Do Fat Burners work without Exercise?Do Fat Burners Work without Exercise? Yes fat burners work without exercise, but don’t expect to take a fat burner today and reach your target weight tomorrow with zero effort. You see, the job of a fat burner is to give you a slight edge when you want to shred. … Read more
- Berocca for Weight Loss? Good or Bad?The email asked is Berocca good for my weight loss plan? After a quick reply, we thought we’d share our answer here in case anyone else had the same nagging question. After all, Berocca is a massively popular supplement since its introduction in 1969 and loads of calorie counters take … Read more
- MACROS vs My Muscle Chef, Meal by Meal!MACROS vs My Muscle Chef, how do they compare, on a per meal basis? Which of these pre-pack meal companies delivers the least calories and most protein per meal, on a like-for-like basis? Let’s find out with this quick visual guide: MACROS Beef Chilli compared to MYMC Beef Chilli Both … Read more
There’s lots more to read!
- Meditate to Lose WeightEveryone knows that if you eat too much for a sustained period, you will gain more weight than you want and need. We all know that if you eat less than normal, you will lose weight until there is a balance between what you eat and what you weigh. More in than out equals weight ...
- 3 Chicken Salads for SummerSummer is rolling in with a vengeance, so many of us are starting to adjust our daily routines to suit the balmy weather and long, bright days. Push the hot chocolate mix to the back of the cupboard and put some ice-trays in the freezer. It is going to get hotter and stickier so wave good-bye ...
- The Stir-Fry and YouThe Stir-Fry is the name given to meals prepared in the ancient Chinese cooking style of frying ingredients in a small amount of very hot oil whilst stirring. The oil is very hot so that the food is cooked quickly. The food is stirred so that every part of it touches the high heat for ...
- Quick Ref: Calories in Christmas FoodsHard to believe but in just a couple of weeks it will be Christmas! Yes, the Silly Season is well and truly upon us with all the customary pleasures and stresses it brings with it. There will be much back-slapping, laughter, hugs, and of course eating and drinking as we take time to commune with those ...
- Soba Salad for Hot Sticky EveningsSummer is here and its hotter than a wombat’s armpit. In the heat of the day, or in the long and glorious sultry evenings that demand a drink on the deck it is hard to think of what to make for dinner.Anything that requires hours slaving over a hot stove or oven is out of the ...
- What to Eat when you don’t Feel like EatingEver had that feeling? When you are hungry, or you think that you are hungry, or you know that you should eat something, but you just don’t feel like eating? Sometimes there is a tinge of nausea or stomach-tightening when you think about whatever’s in the fridge or café cabinet. Sometimes your mind is preoccupied with ...